Friday, October 31, 2008

GR Boxing - MLK Gym

I'm part of a small Leadership Grand Rapids team that has chosen to work on a special project for GR Box...an amazing gym located in Martin Luther King Park on the city's southeast side. 

In short, the volunteers at this boxing gym teach boxing skills to kids ages 7-19 as a way to help mentor kids, inspire them, be a friend, and keep them in school and off the streets.

Last night I met a couple of State champion boxers in the program...great kids. Our goal is to create a multi-faceted awareness program to help GR Box recruit more adult volunteers, and reach out to various after school programs and churches to let them know that this resource is available for kids.

I'll be shooting at the gym a lot over the next few months...it's an inspiring place that I feel quite lucky to be around.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

extremely cool

Anonymous said...

Brian, that is an awesome photo! You have an eye! I'm very impressed!!

Anonymous said...

To say your photos are fantastic would be very much an understatement!! Amazing......Thank you for sharing

Brian Kelly said...

thanks, everyone...I'll be there quite a bit so I'll be posting more shots over the coming months.

Anonymous said...

Post more of these please!

Anonymous said...

I know this is well-intentioned, but I'm surprised to see Leadership Grand Rapids supporting something known to cause brain damage. Especially in kids perhaps too young to fully understand the risks.

Don't mean to get all negative on yo' ass. Photo is great! :D

I-61 Project Team said...

Great Image Brian!! Would love to get together still..

Sociofluid